Friday, August 29, 2008

Mumbai Meri Jaan…. A review

Posted by astuti at 2:29 PM

It was one of those “oh-so-rare” days when both Umang and I were back from work by 6.30 P.M. We decided to catch a movie and man did I love the results of this impulsive decision. :)

Yes I am a gonner and now a committed fan of the director Nishikant Kamat. Seriously there are dialogues and then there are Dialogues… And this movie is filled with them… Some that I recollect very vividly are:
Kay Kay’s remark on “Do you know the difference between Sharon Stone and Kidney Stone?”

Paresh Rawal’s comment many a times in the movie "When you feel like crying, just urinate", adding, "That way you drain the excess water from your body".

And his comment later in the film (after the bomb blasts) where he says “we cant shut the bars; where will the spirit of Mumbai come from!” (Quite a pun I say)

Amidst romance and seeing life through rosy-spectacled films, only once in a while do we come across a movie which strikes a chord with a social theme and is enormously entertaining at the same time. Only once in a while do we come across a movie that has an outstandingly original screenplay and more importantly it connects with the viewer convincingly. Only once in a while do we come across a movie that incites us emotionally and is technically flawless simultaneously. That's Mumbai Meri Jaan to me!!!

There were some technical expertises that I just loved… Brilliant screenplay and even better compositions… For instance right after the scene where they show train blasts, rather than show the date in the original bollywood style Aka as a type written subtitle, the director decides to show us a train bogie number plate “7/11”.

Similarly when Soha Ali’s being asked to give a byte on how she feels (after the death of her fiancé’) the scene shows her reflection on tile which is walked over by the other characters in the film.

Very simple yet very strong, the film makes you look back at what happened and feel for the city.

Much against your predictable perception, the film moves away from any opinionated or political argument on terrorism and traverses a more atomic approach by representing the ordeal of the violence in five individual lives. Each episode runs independent of the other until they are correlated by the train blasts. The parallel tracks beautifully congregate to a common climax.

The writing doesn't resort to any clichés or pre-defined formulae thereby opting for an innovative, unadulterated and gratifying treatment. No song numbers, comedy tracks or romance angles are enforced for commercial considerations. The ending couldn’t have been better, with an All-time-classic song “Yeh hain Mumbai meri jaan”. Cheers, the spirit of Mumbai will always remain intact!

I lurved the movie and recommend it to any serious film appreciators. It’s surely a must watch.

5 comments:

Roy on September 1, 2008 at 11:14 AM said...

Hi,

I hv heard abt this movie bt still idint go coz the real-scenario is still fresh in my mind.
That day, I did hv a jam session with my guitar sir. Suddenly we got the call abt that blast. We all run to the spot

Oh my God. I never can forget that. No film comes close to those experincess.

=============

“Women Shoud Have”

It’s really out of the box writing. I was thinking you to write this kinda post in my blog as a guest author. Not the same – something different but out-of-the-box stuff.

=============
"Men Happy"

Exception?

C’mon, I know several authors who hv written books on women physiology. I’m just writing women success story.

Recently a single father named, Dante Moore wrote a book, 'The Re-Education of the Female.' You know this book is in top of the book chart.

Cheers.

astuti on September 1, 2008 at 3:15 PM said...

Yea, I know a lot of people who tell me the same thing. I'm sorry! The movie has been made for all the other people who don't even realise this.

I was in Chennai during Tsunami, so I kinnda know what you must be going through!

=========== :)
Sweet of you to offer. Will have to think of some thing that "Out-of-the-box". Will keep you in the loop if something comes up :)

===========
But you are so much more passionate about the topic than the regular guy. And being called "exceptional" is not a bad thing you know? :)

Roy on September 2, 2008 at 3:06 PM said...

Oh God, u were there in Chennai.

===========

Yeah, concentrate on that. I do believe it’d be great for my blog too … something different but important. Next week milega, right?

===========
Arrey I was just using “royal teasing.”

Royal teasing? When somebody compliments you, in reply you challenge it. Pata hain, kya hota hain – that person comes stronger in his/her compliments. And then, what u got is like the chronicles of amongst the best compliments ;-) Hey, don’t laugh, it’s true.

astuti on September 2, 2008 at 7:17 PM said...

Next week? Donno... will try. Something inspirational must come up na..!
===============
ROFL. Gud one :) will remember it next time you challenge my compliment! :)

Roy on September 5, 2008 at 2:20 PM said...

Hi,

Yeah-yeah you can take your time.
I take 10 days just on editing. And after posting if I feel “nahhhh” I delete.

Hope it’s gonna ne “best post” in let’s celebrate.

========

ROFL? C’mon, don’t inflate your laundry bill on truth.

Next time? I use “royal teasing” only once. That’s why it’s “royal” nah.

After that I use “mirroring teasing”

What is this? You know what – people give complement so that it can add smile on others’ face.
And “mirroring teasing” helps to add smile on the face who is giving the compliments.

What you have just finished reading was “mirroring teasing.” :-p

Post a Comment

 

Astu Talks... Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos