Saturday, September 6, 2008

Rock On! Movie review

Posted by astuti at 4:10 PM

I had heard raving reviews of the film before I went ahead and watched it... Both positive and negative ofcourse! There simply was nothing in between...
So I was ready to go watch a passionate film that I'll surely love or just hate. I Lurved it! Completely!!!

The story is about a boy band Magik (yea with a "k"). Four college students, who wanna become rock stars and have a boy-band! It's about how they practise, breath and eat music in their younger years and how they grow up in life to become Investment Banker, Jeweller etc...

Most of us have been there or atleast know someone who's been there and done that!!! I for one, could think of some of my friends back from school who pretty much did the very same things.... So naturally it brought back lovely memories and smiles... :)

The acting is good and all of them have done justice to the film. Farhan Akhtar makes an impressive debut as an actor. Though not as explosive as his directorial debut, his foray into acting works just fine. As Magik’s lead vocalist as well as an investment banker, Farhan is impressive. True to his self he pays a lot of attention to his on stage rock musician act, and comes across quite like one. You can actually see his throat nerves stretched when he's singing in the concert!

There are two significant women characters - Sakshi, as Farhan’s wife (Prachi Desai) and Debbie, Arjun’s wife (Shahana Goswami). Along with Farhan Akhtar, there's is the best performance of the movie. Both are shown to be strong characters. It is interesting to see how one woman manages to play the catalyst in the relationship between the four friends even though she is a new entrant into their lives. And the other almost tears them apart even though she is the one who has been with the band ever since they began. Like I said strong women!

Not surprisingly, one can notice traces of the Farhan Akhtar style of filmmaking, especially in the way male bonding, twisted relationships and complex emotions are handled, and attention is paid to detail ensuring nothing remains disconnected. The reunion scenes among the band members as well as Aditya’s meeting with his ex-girlfriend are particularly treated with intense care. Beautiful I say!

The film has been played at a lot of different levels- laughter (Purab's dance comes to mind), emotions (Farhan not knowing how to react when his wife tells him she's preg), Friendship (some gr8 DCH moments in Goa) and the base of the film Rock Music!

Oh and did I say, I lurved the last line of the film- "Don’t Download the Music , Buy it!” Me thinks It was Kewl!!!

A must watch guys... go grab your tickets now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seen this one twice already. Other than "friendship", my take away from this one has been:

Rock On ... ... ... Zindagi Na Milegi Dubara

astuti on September 12, 2008 at 11:49 AM said...

I haven't had the pleasure of watching it twice yet... But I'm sure I'll do the same.:)

And I do agree with ur last line. :)

Anonymous said...

i'll surely catch it with a Friend again (hopefully).

I guess the bigger thought that comes to my mind from this line also is that - live your life to the fullest. do stuff that your Heart tells you to do (sometimes) and NOT always follow the Mind.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

 

Astu Talks... Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos