Friday, November 13, 2009

My all time favourite English Songs...

Posted by astuti at 3:59 PM
I'd written a blog sometime back on Forgotten Hindi melodies of the 90's and many anonymous readers leaving comments, requested for a list of English numbers too... So now, by popular demand, here's my list of English Classics (or what I call so :) ).

These twenty songs are simply, in my "all time favourites" folder, on my I POD, and are not in any specific order:


Neil Diamond's I can see clearly now: Johny Nash, Jimmy Cliff and many others, this song has been sung by many singers and is a great number. The song's got extremely optimistic lyrics, an unabashedly upbeat tempo and a quick sustained crescendo. Feel free to hear it when you need a mood upliftment... It works!


Nelly Furtado's I'm like a Bird is her signature song and there's a freedom about it that's totally lovable. Every woman has to hear it and sing it to herself in front of the mirror- it does wonders to the self esteem! :)


Every breath you take by The Police has been something I have literally grown up on... I think, it definitely had a hand in defining my idea of passion. The die-hard passion in this song, is something that should be considered biblical... The lyrics are the words of a sinister, controlling character, who is watching everything his lover does- it's about unrequited love and about the obsession with the lost lover and let's not forget the jealousy and surveillance that followed!


Another day in paradise by Phil Collins, is a soft, slow number about homelessness (if that's a word!) that's completely heart touching. A simple yet lovely number.


Save the best for last by Venissa Williams has already been blogged about, so I'll just leave you with the link... :)

http://astutalks.blogspot.com/2008/09/save-best-for-last.html


I heard Michael Learns to Rock when I was in class 5 and loved it. At that time, in my child-like glory, I believed it was what's popularly classified as the"Rock Genre"! Hence Paint my love was my all-time-favourite rock song! :P However I have grown tonnes since then and now know the difference; but the song still remains, up there, in my favourites list!



Bryan Adams is the first international concert I attended and so to me all his songs are like 'spoken by thee himself'! But Cloud Number 9 and Everything I do are a part of his "Best of Me" collection, which speaks for itself and does not need any other introduction! Also, Everything I do, was the first song sung to me and so has its very own special memories.

Father figure by George Michael is a sharp and sensual tale of seduction. Its kinnda obsessive in places and the video has always confused me to the exact nature of the relation between the cab driver and the model/ diva! All in all, I'll say, hear it and loouuu it.

Celine Dion has been influenced by genres ranging from rock and R&B to gospel and classical and her songs are known to address romance, happiness and melancholy.  While I know most men find her music soppy, I believe, That's the way it is and Because you loved me, are her finest tracks. While former is a great mood-lifter (read happiness) the latter is the best thing that can be said to anyone in your family... Dad, hubby, bro- it sure is a tribute for the encouragement they give without question!

You're still the one by Shania Twain is an ode to the union between a lover and her man. Here she explains how she is glad they did not listen to the critics, as, if they had done, look at what they could have been missing. Its a lovely thing to say to someone you've been in love with forever! :)


Ahhhmmmm, this blog is becoming way too long, so I'd rather not add my own two lines about my other happy-mood-songs. Here's the list:
The way you love me by Faith Hill
Love today by Mika
The Animal Song by Savage Garden
Ordinary Day by Dolores O Riordan
Stranger things have happened by Foo fighters
Soak up the sun by Shery Crow
Life is a rollercoaster by Ronan Keating
Nothing else matters by Metallica
In the end by Linkin' Park
We didn't start the fire and Uptown girl by Billy Joel
and Frozen by Madonna


 I'll end it at that... but I promise if there's an addition to this list, you'll be the first to know!


And to all you anonymous commentors, I'd say, hope I lived up to your expectation... Ofcourse you are free to leave your anonymous comments, yet again!


But P.S: FYI, I don't bite! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truly fine artists each one of them.

Some great ones missing : Aerosmith, Garth Brooks, Queen, The Rolling Stones, Def Leppard, The Doobie Brothers, Bon Jovi, Rod Stewart, Bruce 'The Boss' Springsteen, The Beatles etc etc.

See if you can get your hands on these songs / artists, if they sound new to you :

Don Henley- End of the Innocence
Taylor Dayne- Love will lead u back
U2- I still haven't found..
Santana & The Wreckers- I'm feeling you
Phil Collins- Against All Odds
Queensryche- Silent Lucidity


I'll leave it at this for now as the list can be never ending depending on taste.

astuti on November 20, 2009 at 8:52 AM said...

Wow! Thanks. I sure will check it out. I have heard Phil Collins- Against all odds, and U2- I still haven't found, and yes gotta agree they are good!

I do see that you have completely ignored my last comment and stuck to the original signature/ identity "anonymous"! Nice. :)

What I find totally amazing is how you'd trust me with your list of favourite songs and put in so much effort to type it, but totally ignore my request for a name. Interesting!

Anonymous said...

well, what interested me in it was 'music' and hence the devotion of time

and it is no top secret that i need to trust anyone wth, its plain n' simple music the way the world knows it

though u did write - 'u r free to leave your anonymous comments yet again', i shud've thought otherwise, seems it has not been taken well

thanks anyways

astuti on November 23, 2009 at 8:45 AM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
astuti on November 23, 2009 at 8:46 AM said...

Oh no... Please feel free to leave your "anonymous comments". "Anonymous comments" are always better than "No comments" per say, so I'm glad someone's taking the time to bother at all.

Most of my ardent (and forced) fans are friends, so they never take the time to leave comments. Thanks for taking the time, its really appreciated.

I'd have liked to know the name behind the writing, but if it means 'no writing', then I'd just take the writing kind sir! And I mean it, those tracks you mentioned were really nice. Thanks a ton. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed.... I like your list and would like to add that Father Figure is awesome. But to truly enjoy Father Figure, you should be in a quiet environment, and wearing Super Quality Headphones. Then pay attention to the beats in the background, especially the hi-hats. It's a beautiful song. And even if you don't hear it wearing headphones, certainly do not hear it on lousy speakers. It's an insult to the song.

Phil Collins was one of my favourite artists too, in school. I also like Another Day in Paradise.

Celine Dion! I can't believe you like Celine Dion. I love Celine Dion. And I am surrounded by people who think that Celine Dion is too loud and 'womany'. Do check out her concert videos, if you can lay your hands on them. I get the goosebumps when she starts with My Heart Will Go On. Why? Because of 1. The massive transformation of the stage for this particular song, all done in a matter of minutes 2. The chorography 3. Her dress (generally bridal white) 4. The crowd going wild.

Ok. Umm... yeah, do hear Don Henley - The End of Innocence, it's very good. And so is Don Mc. Lean's American Pie.

Post a Comment

 

Astu Talks... Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos