Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sex and the City 2: Movie Review :)

Posted by astuti at 8:24 AM
To start with, this new SATC film has hardly any Sex (unless the Censor board's chopped it out) and the city of choice this time is not Manhattan, New York but Abu Dhabi.  Well honestly, reading all the reviews I had before, I knew most women found the film a huge disappointment, so I went prepared to confirm them. Maybe my expectation were already set for base level, but being the huge fan that I am, I couldn't just let someone else decide for me. I wanted to see it for myself, and I'm glad that I did. 'Coz though the film really is no competition to its predecessors and the sequel is highly predictable in its flow, I completely enjoyed this 2 hrs 27 minutes of fun, fashion and friendship. :)


I loved the movie as any true fan would. Sex and the City has always shown us the promise of success and friendship and it’s always fun to see the successful group of girls venture off. Carrie and her spunky group of best girlfriends. still carried the underlying theme of friendship in the second movie. Surprisingly, the unconventional, raw series was carried on as was a theme of tradition! We’ve known SATC to be all things nontraditional and yet tradition sneaks in even at  the over the top wedding of their gay friends.


Some dialogs in the film are crazy, some are crude but some are laugh-your-guts-out hilarious! My favorite dialog hands-down was when Miranda and Charlotte were venting on motherhood, it was crazy to hear Charlotte say, “When Samantha told me Harry might be sleeping with the nanny, the first thing I thought was, “NO, I can’t lose the NANNY!”  :D


Without giving away too much, I did enjoy the movie. After spelling out and building on the tradition theme throughout the two and a half hour movie, the adventure seemed to have ended rather abruptly. Which leaves me wondering if there have been thoughts on a SATC 3 (more the merrier). The fashion in SATC 2 however was to die for! I loved some of the costume changes and even the fashions that made you turn your head a little were rocked by the ladies along with equally fashionable stilettos. After 6 seasons of a raw, realistic series I can say that I thought the first movie was a little fairy tale (which I didn’t mind) and the returning of THE oh-so-hot @ 'fifty fucking two' Samantha, the unsure Carrie, an imperfect Charlotte and a frustrated, unhappy Miranda (on the work front) really brought home Sex and the City as we know it.


Yes I know the movie reviews are bad, but I for one was not there for the plot, that’s what the series was for. I was there for the outfits and the clever one liners. And with that in mind, the cast’s wardrobe definitely lived up to the hype. So, to all my girlfriends out there, do drag your husbands/ boy-friends to the theater; it'll definitely be worth a trip :)

5 comments:

shikha said...

hmmm...never quite thought of the movie the way you summarised it. interesting point about wanting to watch it for the couture and the clever lines :) i liked the ending though and not jus cos of the shiny black rock :)

shikha said...

and didnt you like the OST??? i loved the songs in the BGS new york and i am woman!!

astuti on June 16, 2010 at 10:11 AM said...

@ Shikha: Oh yes, I loved the OST too. The way they played out the song, I am a woman, was fascinating.

And I saw the ending coming, when she showed her wedding-ring to Aiden and said, "See, still no diamond"; so that was just confirmation for me :) Though I did like the way they downplayed the emo in the scene by her dialog "Black, 'coz that's the colour of my soul." :)

Roopak Suri on June 16, 2010 at 10:29 AM said...

I didnt know sex and city was about friendship. i saw the last movie and all i could see was 50 year olds with lots of dresses, having lunches together and talking endlessly! And yeah a lil bit of sex (with equally old men) - yukkk! :)
Get me some younger women pls....

astuti on June 16, 2010 at 8:13 PM said...

@ Roopak: Age is a state of mind dude... You are only as old as you feel or behave! By those standards, Samantha (the oldest in the spunky gang in SATC) is really young buddy. :)

Post a Comment

 

Astu Talks... Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos